Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Reflection on My First Year as a Principal

When I was interviewing for the position of principal at Kerby Elementary last year around this time, I was asked to complete a writing prompt that addressed how I would know if I had been successful after my first year of becoming principal of the school. I recently pulled it out to reflect on the year.   I believe I am working in the right direction as a leader, but definitely still have areas in which to grow. I am lucky to have such a great team at Kerby to help me along this journey! What I wrote is shared below.
       
 “Relationships are Everything” and “Leadership Matters”. When reflecting on the success of my first year as an elementary principal, these two ideas will weave themselves throughout all of my work with teachers, parents, and students. Although school buildings have many pieces that come together to create success, strong relationships and effective leadership play a major role in each and every one of them. 

 Relationships are Everything: The importance of building positive relationships weaves itself into each and every part of a school community. From the school’s behavior management system to the teacher evaluation model, all of these areas will be better when relational trust exists between school leaders and staff. To evaluate whether I have worked to develop that relational trust in my first year as a principal, I will reflect on the following questions:

Have I made connections with staff, students and families that go deeper than school? Do I understand teachers’ personal and professional passions and what motivates them to get out of bed in the morning? Have I connected with students and their families on a level that extends beyond the classroom? Have I gotten to know the community and participated in neighborhood functions and events? Everything that goes on in a school is better when strong relationships exist. 

In an effort to build these relationships, have I truly connected with students on all levels? Have I recognized student achievement and milestones, academically, socially, and behaviorally? Do I check in frequently with students who are in need of that “extra push”? Have I been there to support students who are struggling and helped redirect their path toward a more productive one?

When working with teachers, have I celebrated with those who are experimenting with new technology or teaching strategies? Have I been there to listen and support them when taking that first leap to try something new? Have I encouraged teachers to explore their passions and continue their professional learning and growth in areas that interest and motivate them? If I can answer yes to the above questions after my first year in this new role, the process of beginning to build relationships with students, families, and staff will be well underway and headed in the right direction.

Leadership Matters: John Maxwell said it best when he stated, “Everything rises and falls with leadership.” Everything! Good leaders inspire and empower others to discover leadership qualities in themselves.  When a school is successful, great leaders inspire teachers to keep the expectations high, while searching for new ways to challenge themselves and others. When a school is experiencing periods of turmoil, great leaders help to maintain focus and keep morale high. Great leaders are also role models for their colleagues, leading by example and inspiring others to follow suit and lead from where they stand.  When reflecting on my leadership after my first year, I will ask myself if teachers and students feel empowered to become leaders of their own learning. Also, have I modeled and encouraged reflective practices for personal and professional growth goals?

As the Principal of Kerby Elementary, I will consider my first year a success if I have maintained the focus on developing the leadership capacity and relational trust among all stakeholders in the school building. Leadership matters because people matter, and in education our main priority should be the continued development of people, students and adults alike.

No comments:

Post a Comment