Friday, January 25, 2019

Are you a positive influencer?

As an educator, there are plenty of instances in which we are charged with teaching children more than just reading, writing, and math. Often we are faced with situations that provide us the amazing opportunity to teach kids about life, about being a good friend, and a positive influence on the people around them.

I have experienced many instances recently on a personal and professional level that have led me to wonder why oftentimes adults do not hold themselves the same moral standard that we expect from our children. As I was discussing this dilemma with a mentor and colleague, Dan Hickey, (@hickeygroup) the discussion led to one about positivity. He posed a question to me that caused me to pause and REALLY reflect. He asked me: "On a scale of 1-10, how much of a positive influence are you in your building?"

This question is actually applicable to all facets of life: at home, work, in the classroom, with spouses, friends, colleagues, etc.  As I continue to reflect on this question, I really believe that if this were the focus of all of our relationships, they would all have the potential to be more productive.

When focusing on the power of positivity in schools, it becomes apparent that a teacher could be the most technically perfect teacher in a school building, but without exerting positive influence on students and colleagues, that teacher's potential of influence is not fully realized.

Going forward, therefore, when reflecting on teachers' performance in the building, I plan to utilize this question regularly. It is easy to get sucked into the technical day-to-day aspects of teaching, however, unless one is formally reflecting on their influence and how it is being utilized, I truly believe that teacher will never fully reach his/her true potential.

No comments:

Post a Comment